Monday, December 14, 2015

 

MERMAID TAIL?

Yep. That's what I just finished making yesterday and mailed today - a crocheted Mermaid Tail Blanket. Here is the usual last-minute photo of a finished project tossed upon a shrub in front of the post office.

This is worked in a GIANT size P crochet hook with 2 strands of bulky weight yarn held together. My arms were waving about madly as I made the large stitches. The yarn is Loops & Threads Country Loom in Oceantide color for the top (cocoon) and Rich Blues for the tail.The blanket opens in the back so that a little girl can stick her feet down inside of the lower tube (which ends at the color change) and then wrap the upper part around her torso. I sure hope Ella likes it!

Besides this big project, I have also finished 2 pairs of men's socks in exchange for learning about mixing glazes and loading a pottery kiln. We are simply trading our knowledge and skills so we both benefit! I do like these types of barters.

I've been volunteering at the Glynn Visual Arts center a few days a week. Whew! I've forgotten what it's like to get up in the morning and go to a job! I pack my lunch, kiss Jonesy good-bye and off I go. So far they have "let" me work in the gift shops making sales, and do some office work.

But despite that drain on my energy, I did manage to crank out a few more pieces of pottery. The little jars of "underglazes" caught my eye so I did a couple of experiments with them.
UNDERGLAZE TEST
The striped bowl and dish with the orange dots were my first use of this method of adding some color to a piece of clay. I also made a few bowls and flat center pieces with holes for more pine needle baskets. The actual basketry part has to wait until after I complete some other crafty obligations.

It's been dry and in the 70's and even 80's here in southern coastal Georgia so we've been trying to get out and enjoy it. Today we visited the new Cannon's Point Preserve out on St. Simons Island. We walked among the natural forested area for a few miles simply enjoying the peace and quiet.
This preserve is only open 3 days a week, and even then it may be closed when you arrive like we did Saturday. They were having a managed hunt to rid the area of feral pigs. Oh well, we made plans to return today as this is forecasted to be the last warm and dry day for a while...perhaps for the remainder of the winter!

So, we ventured over to the far other side of the island to see the "Avenue of Oaks". From me working in the gift shop down in the village tourist area which is also a welcome center, I have learned about other things to go-see-do in this area.

These 2 long lines of oak tress were planted in the 1800's on what was once the Retreat Plantation. This whole area was an important agricultural area for sea island cotton and rice. Civil war and other financial calamities ensued so that now it is the entrance to a golf course for the wealthy. But us regular folks still get to enjoy the scenery.
AVENUE OF OAKS

Yes, there are no leaves on the trees as it is winter (so they say). There still is a lot of Spanish moss on the trees which creates a dense shade. Jonesy is standing in what used to be the driveway to the old plantation.

Life is good here in old Georgia.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?